Friday, July 10, 2009

It's what sunflowers do.



It's finally Friday and I'm so happy it's my day to post something fun for you!

I've been hoarding this unfinished frame I bought from Michael's quite a while ago and I thought it would be perfect to fix-up and stamp on and embellish, and... well, you get the idea. I've wanted to make a framed sentiment for quite some time and the new set, Faith & Hope, is perfect!

I traced the frame onto a piece of Bloom & Grow paper from My Mind's Eye and then used ModPodge to glue it to the frame; I sanded the edges of the paper after gluing it so the edges would be smooth and even. The stamped images are from Branching Out and Branching Out Coordinates - I paper pieced the flowers and used Copic Markers to color the other images, and no flower is complete without a Tiny Twinkle! The sentiment says "Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow. It's what sunflowers do." - Hellen Keller. Isn't that fantastic?!

This has to be one of the easiest ways to spice up an otherwise ordinary frame. I love altering houshold items, and this one is relatively quick and easy.

Thanks so much for stopping by today and please be sure to sign up for the Taylored Expressions newsletter so you don't miss a beat! You can sign up on the Taylored Expressions homepage.

Karen


recipe -
stamps: branching out, branching out coordinates, faith & hope
ink: memento rich cocoa, copic markers
paper:
choice buttercream cardstock, bloom & grow (my mind's eye)
accessories: unfinished wooden frame, blue satin ribbon, tiny twinkles, labels 1
nestabilities (spellbinders), modpodge glue, stampin' dimensionals

12 comments:

R Isakson said...

Karen, this is absolutely beautiful!!! You are soo talented! Thanks for sharing.

Yvette said...

Karen, this is sooo pretty! Love the softness it has!

Denise Marzec said...

This is SO pretty!! I just love that MME Grow DP. Beautifully done, Karen!

Shauna K said...

sooo cute! i saw those frames (i got the rectangle ones that are similar) but i didn't know what to do with them, but you made them rock! love it :)

Sharnee Torrents said...

This is soooooooo beautiful, the colours and those birds and the flowers and the ribbon and the... Well the whole card! It's a piece of work ready to be framed! Love it!!! YOu're so clever!!!! :0)

9crafty11 said...

ooohhh..I totally agree with the others..this is totally beautiful!

Karen Motz said...

This is GORGEOUS Karen!!! I love altering frames and this particular one from Micheals is one of my faves. The image and sentiment are just perfect together!!!

Christyne said...

This is FANTASTIC! You make me want to head out to Michael's and purchase this frame!

NancyS said...

This is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS, Karen. Love everything about it...this is just the sort of card anyone would enjoy receiving. TFS.

Nancy Riley said...

So cute, Karen! I think I have one or more of those frames sitting around. Your design is inspiring!

Wendy said...

I love that paper, and I have it, need to get it out and use it! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy Jensen said...

Wonderful project! That would look perfect in MY home! hehe!

I have wondered how to get paper to stick nicely to wood and other type of materials. It seems that ModPodge is a good product for that. Thanks for the info!